Minas Gerais, Brazil
Founding dateOctober 2, 2013
ReleasesRelic Hunters Zero
SocialTwitter, Facebook, Twitch
Brazilian game designer Mark Venturelli is Rogue Snail, a one-man label that includes several collaborators from around the world. Venturelli is responsible for co-founding Critical Studio, creating charity event Super BR Jam, and designing games such as Chroma Squad, Relic Hunters, Dungeonland and Star Vikings.
Venturelli’s first real shot at this weird “professional game development” thing was Dungeonland. Together with 4 friends he founded Critical Studio, and 3 years later the game was being released on Steam. It was far from perfect (no first game ever is, right?), but it was a huge deal for the Brazilian game’s industry. To date, it’s still the only Brazilian game to ever make it into Steam’s Top 10 list (it actually got as far as #3).
After Critical Studio’s closure, Venturelli has created Rogue Snail and worked as a game designer on games such as Chroma Squad (freelancing for Behold Studios) and Star Vikings (the first game to be released under the new snail brand). In 2013 he also created the charity event Super BR Jam, which got together over 25 studios from Brazil and the world to raise funds for a school for poor children in Rio. The event should come back for a second edition in 2014. Mark is currently working on finishing Chroma Squad and Star Vikings, and has just launched the open-source shooter Relic Hunters Zero.
Relic Hunters Zero Launch Trailer / youtu.be/DgzgoeNSCc4
Relic Hunters Zero Let's Play (60 FPS) / youtu.be/nRLSYWaojzk
- "Best Entertainment Game (In Development)" Brazilian Independent Games Festival, 2015 (Relic Hunters Zero)
- "Best Design (Runner-Up)" - Brazil's Independent Games Festival, SBGames 2013 (Dungeonland)
- "Best Art" - Brazil's Independent Games Festival, SBGames 2013 (Dungeonland)
- "Best Sound" - Brazil's Independent Games Festival, SBGames 2013 (Dungeonland)
- "1st Place" - Microsoft XNA Challenge III, 2008 (H.I.V.E.)
- "It looks good as heck! Holy guacamole, Batman!" (Relic Hunters Zero)
- Steven Hansen, Destructoid
- "Captures everything great about video games in a tiny package of awesome." (Relic Hunters Zero)
- Dustin Triplett, Geekenstein
- "It's fast-paced and tightly designed." (Relic Hunters Zero)
- Joel Couture, Indie Game Mag
- "Gamers are going to get a genuinely fun and cool action game" (Relic Hunters Zero)
- Jahanzeb Khan, Hardcore Gamer